Do you want to learn how to communicate your thesis compellingly and clearly? Participating in the Concordia Three Minute Thesis and Ma thése en 180 secondes (3MT&MT180) Competition is a perfect opportunity to receive individual coaching to improve your public speaking skills and communicate your work effectively.
The 3MT competition is open to all Doctoral students and Master's (thesis-option). while the MT180 competition is only open to Doctoral students. Interested students must sign up for one of the training sessions, where they will learn details about he requirements of the competition and receive coaching on how to present their research in an engaging and accessible way.
*PhD students interested in signing up for the MT180 competition must register in section 1 or 3*
All participants must fully attend their online training sessions and participate in at least one in-person practice session with guest coaches between February and March.
Students are expected to dedicate around 20 hours to participate in the 3MT/MT180 competition: 8h for coaching sessions, 5-10 of individual work on crafting the presentation structure and slide, 2h for the competition dry run, and 2h for attending the final competition.
- January 27-February 23: Online training focusing on designing the pitch and slide as follows:
- 1st training day: Students learn the rules of the competition and judging criteria and start drafting their script outline
- 2nd training day: Students present their script and get feedback on their story from their coaches and peers
- 3rd training day: Students present updated script and slide based on feedback received during second session
- February 24-March 10: Students in sections 1-3 can sign up for any 4th in-person training day where they practice in front of their guest coaches. The coaching for these sessions focuses on presentation delivery and body language and the title of the presentation.
- March 17: Dry run for the competition
- March 24: Final competition
- April-June: National competitions (CAGS Eastern Regional 3MT finals; ACFAS MT180)
The 2023 3MT/MT180 Concordia competition will take place on Friday, March 24, 2023 at 2 PM, 4th Space. Prizes will be awarded to the top presenters, and two students will be selected to represent Concordia University at the regional and national competitions. The audience can choose their favourite presentation by casting their votes online for the People's Choice Award at the Masters and Doctoral level.
Please review the detailed schedule for your section by clicking here.
- 02 February - 23 February
- 03:00 PM - 05:00 PM
- In person & online